Permits and Inspections Lean & IT Project
Major City in Wisconsin
• Non Standard tasks are performed from case to case for permits and inspections.
• There is huge overlap in the number of people and repetitive administration tasks.
• No visibility to the number of functions performed by resources.
• Gain clarity on how the tasks are being performed in the different areas
• Standardize tasks
• Minimize rework
• Analyze existing technology to build or buy the next platform
- Savings identified for Admin Staff and Inspections Team
- Permits and Inspection information when You need it
- See only permits & inspections You need to work on
- Lean Solutions…
- Buyin - Built by the staff for the staff
Change Management Plan – better IT and a modified process
- From 8 to 1 person consolidating data for entire process. • Focus change from reporting, data collection to service delivery.
- Additional capacity per day for each team member.
- Additional hours weekly capacity realized • Move to Compliance • Increase transparency
- less calls to Front Desk and reduced paperwork. • Efficient management of inspection visits.
- Improves Field support requests • Reduces overtime needs. • Improves inspectors ability to complete administrative tasks • Increases productivity
- Breaking department service delivery to identify the tasks
- Sequencing and ranking
- Amount of resources utilized and time spent is overwhelming
- Dot-voting to show importance
- Web based n-tier application with presentation, logic and data separated.
- Technology, such as the Permits Processing Application based on Lean principles has the opportunity to change the operating model to build by staff for the staff to reduce rework.